- This event has passed.
Chicago Philharmonic performs Starburst
- featured work:
- Starburst for string orchestra
- Chicago Philharmonic
- (312) 957-0000
- Harris Theater
- 205 East Randolph
Chicago, IL + Google Map
- event category:
Scott Speck Conductor
Ryan Speedo Green Bass-baritone
Chicago Philharmonic and Artistic Director & Principal Conductor Scott Speck are thrilled to welcome two-time Grammy Award winning bass-baritone Ryan Speedo Green. In an epoch-spanning concert performance, Green sings selections from opera and musical masterworks with Chicago’s dynamic, musician-led orchestra at the Harris Theater for Music and Dance.
Among the selections include:
- Peculiar Grace Fire Shut Up in My Bones – Terence Blanchard
- What Makes a Man a Man Champion – Terence Blanchard
- Studia il passo, O mio figlio Macbeth – Giuseppe Verdi
- Basilio’s aria La calunnia The Barber of Seville – Gioachino Rossini
- Vecchia zimarra, senti La Bohème – Giacomo Puccini
- Die Frist ist um Flying Dutchman – Richard Wagner
- Dances of Galánta – Zoltán Kodály
Ryan Speedo Green has quickly established himself as an artist of international demand at the world’s leading opera houses. In the 2022-2023 season, Green performed his first leading role at the Metropolitan Opera starring as Emile Griffith in Terence Blanchard’s Champion, conducted by Yannick Nézet-Séguin and directed by James Robinson. Green won his second Grammy Award for the role of Uncle Paul in Terence Blanchard’s groundbreaking Fire Shut Up in My Bones at the Met Opera in a performance Opera Wire praised as “simply a revelation”.
In addition, Green has had the honor of performing solo alongside esteemed orchestras such as the LA Philharmonic, New York Philharmonic, and The Met Orchestra at Carnegie Hall. Having been awarded The Met’s prestigious Beverly Sills Artist Award for the second time this past year, Ryan Speedo Green has undeniably cemented his status as a rising star and a force to be reckoned with in the opera world.